August 12, 2009

"Surviving is Important. Thriving is elegant." - Maya Angelou

This morning I was so graciously awakened by the sound of Brett's voice, asking me if I could take him to work. This is a very standard routine we have, which if I do say, is the least of measures I can take for him to let me stay at home all day with the dog and do nothing (wink wink). The wake up call/escapade downtown wasn't all bad, that is to say if you ignore the glares and stares from the business people of the world during our excursion into downtown.

I've decided that these glares could be possibly warrented. These people ("the suit's") probably think that I am some trust fund kid, that doesn't work. Can you picture this charade? I'm rolling up, fresh out of bed, in my sweats, hair tattered in a side ponytail, teeth yet brushed, small dog in hand dropping off my Husband ... and they all just stare, it's laughable. The only issue that is not funny, is that I have to be on prowl for ex-coworkers, because if they saw me like this, certainly they'd make the assumption that I'd made a HUGE mistake leaving PwC (I've certainly crafted quite the scenarious in my head, haven't I?).

Anyway, back to the wake up call. Brett brewed me the most delicious cup of pete's coffee (this has become a sort of condition to get me out of bed), which I am now currently enjoying while listening to the beau-ta-mous (thank you Catherine for that rendition of beautiful) sound of the fog horn blowing off in the distance. I also can't complain, since again, I do not work and can go back to school with 110% support from Brett. Not to mention the endearing love of his parents, especially his mother of whom verbally (often with gifts as well, medical dictionaries, note pads, stationary) expresses her support toward my decision to return to school at least once everytime I see her, which gets me to the POINT of this blog :)

After my traditional jaunt down to the financial district this morning, I immediatley checked my inbox when I returned home. I had 1667 emails in my inbox! Now, I know what you might be thinking, "Wow, 1,667 people responded to Gina's Serendipitous Quest?!" No, 1,665 are old/junk related emails, I have an issue deleting old emails. But one, one email really took my breath away, it's subject line: "Blog Journal!!!!"

Hi Gina!!! Your blog is the first one I have ever ventured in to read and I loved your entries and reflections. I clicked to try to sign up in order to sign in ( WOW!!!) and got intimidated so will wait for A's assistance. The title you created for your blog captures the essential spirit by which you live your life...your own personal adventure. I am heartened to be a part of all this. I know you will welcome this new day. Take good care. Hi to Brett!!! Love,Kathy"

As I am sure you can infer, or maybe you already know, Kathy is Brett's Mom, and the best mother-in-law this world has known. Now, I know if she is reading this right now, she is probably a little embarrassed that I am posting her email and I surely hope this does not deter her from additional supportive measures, but isn't she the greatest?! By far, the most supportive, loving and caring Mommy I have ever met.Even after my car accident, when Brett and I were mere aquaintances, Kathy sent me a $50.00 for graduating from College. For our friends and family who attended our wedding, you are aware of the poetic speech Kathy gave, about life's seasons and genuinly embracing all life has to offer, and most importantly following your heart.... Her entire mantra, her day to day being, each and everytime we go over for a visit to the Cummings, is just as her speech was. Simply put, it's magical.

While we can all survive through survival mechanisms, innate qualities that we are born with, thriving is different. Thiriving takes the gracious love and support of individuals like Kathy. It's no wonder Brett turned out to be who he is today, and why I can say I feel lucky to have Kathy as a mother-in-law. We are truely blessed to be provided with someone who intends to increase our distinction, if for nothing more, to have that distinction and hope that we can conquer all, instilled within our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment