August 23, 2009

"The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility." - Albert Einstein

Annie having a baby has got me thinking...

WARNING: For those of you who are faint of heart, close minded or are easily persuaded to think people (me) are crazy with their crazy thoughts stop reading here, I'm serious.

Tonight, as Brett and I were walking home from the movie 'Inglorious Bastards,' I suddenly realized this fact: The fact is, that we are all so special (newflash). It is for this reason that I say so: out of all the times your parents did "the deed," all the practice rounds and passionate escapades, out of all of those times, a child was NOT conceived. But you, you are the exception. Does this make sense, are you following me? And then if you think before your parents, and all the times your parents parents fornicated - and that was before you were even a seedling - your grandparents conceived your Mom/Dad - the possibilities are endless, the probability is maddening (and you thought the lotto was impossible to win!). Really, it's more than one in a million or even trillion odds that you are sitting where you are sitting today reading this, living, breathing, thinking.
Here is some food for thought; In my developmental psychology course, we learned that the average male ejaculate (I warned you) contains 40 to 600 million sperm. That's just one episode of hide the sausage (or whatever you want to call it). Those are horrible odds that you would make it here, and you did! And then you consider the special mixture that had to be your Mom and Dad for you to get here, with all your quirks and idiosynchroncies.... I should probably stop while I am ahead, but do you see where I am going?
So next time you are down and out, or just a little off, happy, sad, mad, or glad just embrace how special it is that you are here, feeling those feelings. Enjoy yourself and celebrate exactly who you are (even if you're not 100% sure who that is, you can celebrate that too). Or if not, you can just celebrate that you don't have crazy thoughts stuck in your head like me. I'll leave you with another quote from Albert...
"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us "universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

1 comment:

  1. Gina I love your quest on this blog its so fun to read. Keep it coming Mrs. Cummings! (lame...I know!)

    ReplyDelete