April 2, 2010

Good Friday

Brett and I woke up today and decided to run downtown and get a bite to eat together for Breakfast. We walked out our front door, and there was a girl sleeping in the corner of our entry way/doorstep. She appeared homeless and obviously cold. This caught Brett and I both off gaurd as we live in one of the nicest neighborhoods in the city, Pacific Heights. As were we crossing the street, Brett said "That's a first."

I had to get some blood work done downtown for school (in order to be a clinical student nurse). I rode the bus back home and when I returned she was still there. As I walked up to our doorway, I could see her eyes look up at me. I leaned down to ask her if she was ok and if she needed anything. She just wanted a snack, so I ran upstairs, got her some cuties, an apple and some pretzels and a huge glass of OJ, I figured she was probably dehydrated and OJ sounded good to me.

I came back downstairs and handed her her food. I asked her again if she was ok, and if she needed anything else. I really didn't mind that she was on our doorstep, I think she might have been thinking I wanted her to leave. Some people might be offended (or whatever) but I figured she was harmless so I didn't care. Anyhow, I asked her if she was ok, and she said, yes. I said do you need anything else, I would give you money but I don't have cash. She asked for a sweatshirt. I ran back upstairs, and found one of the many sweatshirts I NEVER wear and gave it to her. She seemed very happy.

While I was upstairs, getting her food, I thought about asking her if she wanted to come up and take a shower. I would have if Brett was home, cause I could see something going terribly wrong if it were me here by myself (it's hard enough to be responsible for just me). Its just so disheartening and sad. I know everyone has their own path, but it's just sad.

I asked her her name, she said "Georgia, what's yous?" I said "Gina." She said, "What happened to you voice?" I told her I was in a car accident and you know what, for the FIRST time since it happened, my accident seems like a fart in the wind compared to her life. It's like my accident didn't even compare.

Pray for Georgia.

1 comment:

  1. I struggle with the homeless it breaks my heart and I want to fix it all the time. Its good to know I am not the only one trying to help. This is why you are going to be an amazing nurse...your amazing and HUGE heart!

    ReplyDelete