February 24, 2010

It's time for new shoes!

In my life's process, I am being to journey down a path that I have dared not go before, both literally and figuratively speaking. April 11 and July 10 will mark two days where I have dared not go before and everyday before then will mark a beginning of a new Gina. For those of you who may not know, today officially marked the beginning of my training regime to be like Brett; I am training for my first two Triathlons!

Usually when I sign up for something that includes exercise, ie a Half-Marathon, I don't train, and then I sorta brag, in a way, that I have not trained. I usually don't train because I am too afraid of committing myself to a routine, not only that, but I sorta grew up in a household where I sorta just "got by." I mean, I practiced my love of soccer, was a part of a team and excelled both collectively and individually, but did I go on to play college soccer when I probably could have - no. Sure, I got in car accident that nearly killed me, but I didn't have a choice there, I had to thrive, I HAD to pick myself back up and pick up the pieces and start a new. I wasn't going to live another 70 years with a trache - ya know? This is just different. This is different, because I get to make the choice. I get to train, make the choice to excel and move forward. There isn't some crazy lady (aka My Mom) as a distraction. I'm my own worst enemy here.

Training for a triathlon involves a lot of time with yourself. First, you have to convince yourself to move your you know what off the couch and go for a swim, ride you bike or run. Then once you finally muster up the courage to workout, if your music isn't loud enough, or even if it is, there is that little itty bitty voice in there (at least I think that is what I'm hearing) telling you you can't do it, or your too tired to go on. What is that?! Hello... clearly I can do this... why can't you be positive? - and then you suddenly realize you are talking to yourself!

Listening to your own thoughts - which some of you know could be scary when it comes to me - That's is an exercise in itself!!! This blog tonight is entitled "It's time for new shoes" because not only is it time for a new pair of running shoes (my knee is starting to hurt me), it's time for me to step into a new Gina.

Today my regime required 30 minutes of running and 15 minutes of swimming, and it was excellent. To give you an insiders perspective on personal conversations I was having with myself, well here it goes. After the "pre-game coversations" of to go or not to go, while I was actually running this evening, I ran past a street called Octavia. We're moving soon and Octavia is going to be our new cross street. From Bay Street, Octavia gets steep - real steep! I was inspired to write this blog. I think I have some challenges ahead of me, but I am excited to face them as a progressive person and not a "yeah - I'll get by" type person! I'm excited to apply this new motto of new shoes to every aspect of my life and see the benefits that are reaped! Say it with me ... "It's time for new shoes!"

5 comments:

  1. Go Gina!! You just got me pumped for my workout at the Gym. Its no training for a tri but it is training for a swim suit body that would make Heidi Klum cry!!! HA HA!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Gina! My favorite tri-athlete =) I so wish I lived nearby so that I could give you lots of massages to help keep you feeling good throughout your training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww you girls are too sweet! Also, Hoobar I owe you a phone call... sorry, I'll try tomorrow - I have a paper due tomorrow that i have yet to start! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete