September 29, 2009

My first heart attack

Today voluteering in the emergency deparment I witnessed my first heart attack. A man was brought in by ambulance after he was playing tennis with a friend and just dropped to the ground. One of the nurses came up to me and said if you are interested, there is a man on his way who has just coded. I watched in the corner of the room while the nurses and doctors all did their thing. It was pretty controlled for what it was, and it immediately made me realized that you really have to make a conscious effort to live each day like it is your last, for you never know what tomorrow will bring. He still had tennis balls in his pockets, this I noticed as I was taking off his shoes. It just makes you think - I mean he double knotted his shoes, well actually only the one on his right foot, and that could have been the last time he tied his shoes. I could really go on forever here...

One of the nurses, she's from the Davies Campus, so I've never worked with her before, she was like "Oh, you're new, what's your name." And you know how that goes...

Nurse: "Oh you're a lil' bit hoarse today..." (she was British)

Gina: No I was in a car accident 6 years ago.

Nurse: "Oh my gosh - and you volunteer now!"

Gina: Ya, well I -

Nurse: "You back in school for nursing now?"

Gina: Yes, I was a CPA and now I am going back to school to become an RN."

Nurse: "Wow, you are amazing, my hats off to you, you are truly an incredible girl - you are lucky to be alive - you had a trache didn't you? I feel so lucky to be in your presence, you are truly amazing girl. It's great to meet you.

Gina: Thank you? ;)

Nurse: "Oh, you are going to make a great nurse, you are so beautiful and have such a beatiful smile."

Gina: Thank you very much.

I could barely get a work in edge wise. Later during the day, she kept asking me questions about my accident and when I told her what had happened her response was ...

"Well, just when you think you've heard it all..."

2 comments:

  1. British people are funny!! It is great that you are giving back to the reason you are alive...its a wonderful turn of events. The great silver lining in the cloud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wedding band has silver lining engraved on it Becks!

    ReplyDelete