February 21, 2017

What Yoga Is To Me


What Yoga is to me is a post based upon the first homework assignment we have at CorePower Yoga 200 hour Teacher Training beginning February 21, 2017. I'm sharing this in hopes to inspire you. Yoga has various meanings to various individuals. I'm so excited when I meet someone who loves yoga as much as I do but even more so sad when someone feels like they've tried yoga once or twice, gotten what they feel was a bad teacher or had a bad experience and was turned off. Or when someone thinks they "can't do yoga." My hope is that my journey creates a connection between you and yoga and that you are able to find your own happiness in yoga. It has caused some serious change in my life and taught me the power each one of us holds inside ourselves. Enjoy

<3 p="">
G



Yoga is peace, power and presence. Yoga is my place of peace and happiness, freedom and change. Yoga takes the old and mundane and turns it into new and gratitude. Yoga is forgiveness. Yoga is a light. Yoga is my place of solitude and self-acceptance and renewal. It keeps me sane by bringing out my full potential and closer to my true self.  Yoga is a workout. Yoga is cleansing of the mind both physically and spiritually. It changes the foods I choose to put into my body and it changes the way my mind works.

I began practicing yoga shortly after my first child Brayden was born. Roughly four months or so after he was born my best friend Annie of 20+ years from childhood who is an instructor shared her journey with me. She needn’t say much, as I could see the change that yoga made in her body but most importantly her mind and consequently her life. She had lost her father to a glioblastoma a few years prior and like her I had lost something significant in my life as well, my voice. She found her confidence and her truth, both were shining bright. I wanted some of what she had.

A couple of years and children later (two), several months after my second child was born, Annie told me about a new yoga studio opening up called Corepower Yoga. I was hooked.

Yoga is change. Yoga is life. You need nothing more than your self to “do” yoga. However, you don’t really “do” yoga, we are all yoga. Yoga is a symbolic and symbiotic relationship with yourself and your life. It’s the ebb and the flow of your breath and mind.  It is the connection between your body, heart, mind, soul and creator. It’s the connection to your higher self. The meaning of yoga is constantly changing for me. It is a journey. Each class shows me different aspect, characteristic and layer of myself. It shows me my peace, happiness and power. It shows me my strengths and my weaknesses. It connects me to the power I have to be anything or anyone I want to be in the most genuine and authentic way. It creates a happiness and high that allows me to reach my fullest potential. Yoga is a surprise. Yoga is a message in a bottle that I wrote to myself as a young child free of any cares that I found washed up upon the shore. Yoga is my freedom and my choice. Yoga is self-love, self-acceptance and the love of others. Yoga is a healing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment