June 21, 2010

Every Day is a Miracle

Remember that giant hill I was talking about a few blogs ago... the one Brett and I were moving to the top of? Well, today after a tiring day at the hospital/clinical rotation, I decided the best thing I could do to decompress was a run/swim. So I slapped on the headphones and ipod and ran to the YMCA Presido and swam for 30 minutes and then ran home. They weren't kidding when they said San Francisco is the hilliest of cities. These hills are a symbols of the many emotions I have during one day at the hospital. Some patients are a jog downhill, and other patients really make you question and climb uphill, questioning your my own values, beliefs and insecurities.

I had an uneventful day in my Maternity rotation today (wasn't able to be apart of labor or be assigned to a patient) which is never what one wants, but being in this environment makes you think. It makes you think about why you are who you are, how you got here, where you've been and where you'd like to go, or where you are going. It also makes you realized aside from tangent thoughts one thing is a fact. Birth is a true miracle! When you start with a miracle, every single day after that miracle is a miracle just by default.

We're here because of the miracle of life. The miracle is that two people made love and YOU now exist because of that. I have the privilege of witnessing this every Monday at clinicals, and whether or not I actually get to be apart of the birthing and labor process, tears still well up in my eyes every time I see a Mom hold her baby for the first time, or see the excitement of a new grandparent or the love of a new Dad. It makes me realize how special I am and how loved I am, and how much love my parents have for each other, and how much love I have for my Husband and for our future children. Life is such a miracle, it's incomprehensible. Whether you are Jewish, Christian or Muslim, we all got here the EXACT same way, we are all love.

Today was overwhelming, even though it was uneventful. Aside for the newborn assessment and bath that I was able to actually provide for the newborn, nothing other than the pure fact of life/birth had me in awe. Going for a run and swim my a necessary decompression and helps me to figure out where my place is in this crazy world. it helps me sort through the million and one feelings I had today. It helps me realize how my daily experiences help challenge me and transform me into a better person, and the running and swimming ain't to bad for the bod either ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment